“We’re Burnin’ Daylight”

“Rise and Shine,” my Mom used to say these words in her lilting manner, just about every morning.  Dad would often follow up with a John Wayne quote from the movie, The Cowboys, with his favorite line, “We’re burnin’ daylight!”

My kids really hated these phrases.  We all swear we won’t be our parents, but inevitably as we go to raise our children, we quickly default to things from our own youth.

Some kids launch out of bed every morning and some must be dragged out like a cat on its way to a bath.

For some, they grow out of it and start to greet the day or they become an adult that dreads every morning.  Which are you?

Alignment

These days, I’m an early riser.  I rarely set an alarm clock any longer.  Part of me thinks that might be an age-related issue.  But I know plenty of folks my age that can’t get out of bed.

I think it has more to do with being aligned, my body-mind-spirit trifecta.  Because of this, I’m just flat out happier these last few years.

We got our marriage back on solid ground several years back.  Seems like just yesterday.  As a result, our sex is frequent, passionate and rewarding.

I listened to a podcast yesterday by Rollo Tommasi and Pat Campbell on sexless marriage.  It was a good hour.

One of the key points had to do with how “sex is the glue that holds marriages together”.  That gave me pause to think.  They are quite correct.

So that’s working well for us these days.  My job is rewarding as hell too.  That’s another part of my good mood in the AM.

Mission

I’m part of a group of like minded men that are on paths of improvement and helping each other out.  The Fraternity of Excellence is one group I belong to.  I also converse regularly with the other speakers from this year’s 21 Convention.  This is classic Iron Sharpening Iron.  That feeling of belonging leads to immense satisfaction with these friendships.

For the first time in many years, I have a clearly defined Mission.  This is crucial to any man’s happiness.

Waking up is so much easier because of all this.  Bouncing out of bed for a cup of coffee and letting the dog out is now an event I look forward to.

Time

I’ve said this a few times here, but Time is a dwindling resource for all of us.  Sleeping one’s life away is sad.  Getting a solid 7-8 sleep is healthy and necessary.  But more than that, sure seems a waste to me.  Now this dwindling time concept rears its unavoidable head as we get older.  Definitely age-related.

If you are younger, recognize your sleep patterns.  Analyze why you do what you do.  Figure out what makes you happy.  What do you look forward to?  What makes you feel alive?

Go pursue that.  Don’t wait until you’re 50 to try and hopefully thru some blind ass luck, find yourself.

Do it now.  Don’t wait.  Future you will say thanks.

Like The Duke said, “Hurry up, we’re burnin’ daylight!”

8 comments… add one
  • Adrian Bye Nov 26, 2018 @ 21:35

If they can’t wake up it may be due to snoring or other sleeping issues that can be fixed

• texasdom Nov 26, 2018 @ 21:41

That’s a solid point Adrian. I’ve got apnea and have used a CPAP for years. Thanks for pointing that out for folks.

• HisLordship Nov 27, 2018 @ 2:18

Ah I’ve trashed my body clock Tex. Too many times zones working, and lots of kids! I did smile at the comment about mirroring behaviours in raising kids and the sayings that go with it. I saw JW as your theme picture and immediately thought of my own Dad. “Get off your horse and drink your milk, he used to say in very bad London/American accent. It was his way of saying you’re late for school. I have drawn the line using that particular phrase. The vacant teenage stare would only serve to insult The Duke in that great big plain in the sky!

• texasdom Nov 27, 2018 @ 7:35

That’s funny. I’ve never heard that one! Duke with a bad London accent. *That* I’d love to hear

• Alex Nov 27, 2018 @ 2:51

My son is an early riser with tons of energy in the morning. Always has been. It’s awesome and I hope he stays that way.

I’ve been a moderate riser. Before my daughter was born, I forced myself to get up at 5:00 every day to lift. Now that the baby is here I’m on her schedule, but I enjoyed waking up early those six months and plan on doing it again once she starts sleeping through the night.

• texasdom Nov 27, 2018 @ 7:39

Last year about this time we got a new puppy. I was on her schedule for a long time. Now she’s getting on mine.

I miss the days of kids at home but don’t miss tangling with the daughter every AM. We used to accuse her of being bit by the tse tse fly and having African sleeping sickness.

And she is still like that at age 34. She gets points for consistency.

• Alex Nov 27, 2018 @ 8:38

Those tse tse flies, man . . .

Has your daughter had her thyroid checked? My sister was like that, and it was a hypoactive thyroid and now she’s up early for work no problem. Just a thought.